In addition to a full-time staff, Hardin County Conservation employs seasonal and temporary workers annually. To learn about employment opportunities with Hardin County, please contact the Headquarters at 641-648-4361. Positions are advertised on the employment page on the Hardin County website and on MyCountyParks.com.
UPDATED 1/25/2017: Hardin County Conservation is now taking applications for three seasonal intern positions:
- Natural Resources Intern
- Interpretive Park Assistant
- Park/Natural Resource Management Intern
The application process will be open through March 3, 2017 or until filled. Click for more information...
Conservation typically employs two types of interns, a Natural Resources Intern and an Interpretive Summer Intern.
Natural Resources Intern
The Natural Resource Intern will assist the Natural Resource Manager with all aspects of development of the county wildlife areas, parks, and trails. This will include, but is not limited to:
- prairie establishment
- timber stand improvement projects
- conducting controlled burns
- wetland management
- noxious weed and brush control
- maintenance of prairies
- park maintenances
- and equipment maintenance.
The individual will also assist in helping with the goat flash grazing program, operate machinery, and power equipment. This position will run from mid-May to mid-August and is located at the Conservation Headquarters facility near Ackley, Iowa. A valid driver's license and background check will be required.
Interpretive Summer Intern
The Interpretive Summer Intern generally assists the staff at Calkins Nature Center. This will include, but is not limited to:
- Assist the interpretive and resource management staff in carrying out the mission of HCCB
- Work with staff in preparing environmental education programs to audiences of varying ages and knowledge base
- Maintain nature center, museum, live animal display, and a small campground
- Assist staff in natural resource management, invasive species removal, timber stand improvement, and wetland mitigation
- Operate and maintain equipment, trucks, trailers, ATV, chainsaws, hand tools, etc.
- Perform fireside environmental education programs and impromptu interpretive hikes
- Other various duties as assigned by nature center staff
This seasonal position will run approximately from the end of May to early or mid-August. Calkins Natura area is located southwest of Iowa Falls, Iowa. A valid driver's license and background check will be required.